In this tutorial, we will be taking a closer look at the jBPM Maven archetype for Spring Boot – a feature that is sure to kick start the way you create your jBPM projects.
A jBPM Project running with Spring Boot is typically made of the following sub-projects:
- A KJAR project which contains the Business processes and Rules along with the Kie Module Descriptor
- A Model project which contains the Java Classes that you can use in your projects (optional)
- A Spring Boot project which provides the Runtime Environment for your application. This project will load the KJAR from your Maven repository to bootstrap the BPM processes
After this premise, let’s see how we can bootstrap three different Maven projects for the above types.
Creating the jBPM projects
To create a jBPM project with the kie-service archetypes, follow these steps:
- Install Apache Maven, if it is not already installed on your system. You can download the latest version of Maven from the Apache Maven website (https://maven.apache.org/download.cgi).
- Open a terminal or command prompt and navigate to the directory where you want to create your project.
JBPM_VERSION="7.73.0.Final" mvn archetype:generate -B -DarchetypeGroupId=org.kie -DarchetypeArtifactId=kie-model-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=$JBPM_VERSION -DgroupId=com.mastertheboss -DartifactId=test-model -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackage=com.mastertheboss.model mvn archetype:generate -B -DarchetypeGroupId=org.kie -DarchetypeArtifactId=kie-kjar-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=$JBPM_VERSION -DgroupId=com.mastertheboss -DartifactId=test-kjar -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackage=com.mastertheboss mvn archetype:generate \ -DarchetypeGroupId=org.kie \ -DarchetypeArtifactId=kie-service-spring-boot-archetype \ -DarchetypeVersion=$JBPM_VERSION \ -DappType=bpm
Next, check the current directory to see if the three Maven projects are available:
$ ls myserviceapp test-kjar test-model
Your project generation is complete. To change the version of jBPM API in your project, simply modify the version.org.kie property in the Maven projects:
<properties> <version.org.kie>7.73.0.Final</version.org.kie> </properties>
You can now start working on your jBPM project by modifying the project files and adding your own business logic.
This tutorial will cover it in detail: Developing a jBPM 7 Web application example